Of cause the most actual information about Visas and actually about any services that government can provide is placed on official information resources. That’s why in the beginning of this article I want to place a link to official sites of Russian foreign ministry. Here is the site that locates Russian Embassy all over the world: http://www.russianembassy.net/ .
But as it’s often occur information on official sites is hard to read, understand and use. As I declared the main purpose of this site is to help people travel over Russia and deal with some illogical things in Russia from foreigners prospective.
Citizens of some countries are allowed to visit Russia for tourist purposes without visa. List of these countries can be found following the link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Visa_policy_of_Russia .
There are lot of different types of Russian visas (7 actually) but travelers in most cases are interested in Tourist visa.
So further will be discussed the process of obtaining a Tourist visa.
General steps to obtain Russia visa:
- Completed visa application signed by the Applicant only. Incomplete visa application forms shall not be processed.
Application available online at http://visa.kdmid.ru
All questions in the application form should be answered. If a question is not applicable to the applicant, he should put “N/A”. Each application form must be signed by the visa applicant personally.
- Valid national passport (original only and it should have at least two clear visa pages). It must be valid no less than six months after the visa expiration date. Holders of travel documents such us: Permit to Re-Enter the United States of America, Travel Document, etc. must submit valid Permanent Resident Card (an original and a copy).
- One picture of an applicant. To find Russian visa photo specifications follow the link: http://www.ruscon.org/forms/photospecs.htm
- Money Order or Certified Bank Check made out to the Russian Consulate for visa processing. Please note that we do not accept cash, credit or debit cards, personal or company checks.
- Invitation to Russia from a host person or organization
VISA PROCESSING FEES
Visa processing fees for US citizens are:
Single Entry or Double Entry Visa:
$160 – six business days(*);
$250 – three business days(*).
Multiple Entry Visa for one year:
$160 – six business days(*);
$450 – three business days(*).
(*) – The day of submission/delivery is NOT INCLUDED in processing time.
Above are fees for US citizens but fees are similar for all countries.
Invitation to Russia from a host person or organization
Invitation is one of the principal moments of visa obtaining process. You can obtain invitation form one of many agencies that can be found through Google or you can contact the author of this blog to get such invitation from first hands from person really living in Russia.